This is straight from a restaurant in Malden that we went to last weekend with a couple of friends. I've been planning to put up my recipe for these but just got this in my Daily Candy email and figured theirs is probably better!
1 package of twelve-inch round rice papers
12 large cooked and peeled shrimp, cut in half lengthwise
10 mint leaves
10 basil leaves
½ head of lettuce, shredded
½ package of thin rice noodles
1. Line up two sheets of rice paper, layering them one on top of the other.
2. Quickly dip them into a bowl of warm water.
3. Spread the moist rice paper onto a clean cutting board and flatten.
4. In the middle of the rice paper, layer two pieces of shrimp and top with one basil leaf and one mint leaf.
5. Add 1/6 of the lettuce and 1/6 of the rice noodles.
6. Tuck in top and bottom, then fold left and rights sides over the filling (like a burrito) and seal using a drop of water on your fingertip.
All Seasons’s Dipping Sauce
8 tbsp. hoisin sauce
4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. roasted peanuts, chopped (optional)
1 tsp. chili flakes (optional)
1. In a small bowl, mix hoisin sauce, vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil.
2. Top with roasted peanuts and chili flakes (optional).
3. Accept compliments gracefully; that’s just the way you roll.