Monday, November 30, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Tea Cake

I love the holidays, mostly because everything sweet is made with pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin spices...just opening the jar of nutmeg conjures elaborate images of pumpkin custard pies, turkeys, potatoes. My mom passed along this recipe for pumpkin cake and I make it at least 5-6 times a year - for myself, my colleagues, as Christmas gifts, thank you's, you name it. Everyone loves it and it's one of my favorites.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 can pumpkin
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, and eggs. Add pumpkin and mix well.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (sift to avoid lumps).

4. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the water until the batter is well mixed.

5. Pour into a lightly buttered loaf pan and bake about an hour or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment