Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ricotta Pancakes

I grew up in a pancake house. I realize that sounds like I was born in an IHOP. Not quite. But when I was little...and still today actually, we would get up on a Saturday morning and dad would grab the box of Bisquick and start up the griddle. Reading the Sunday comics with sticky syrupy fingers...heaven. They were always quite heavy pancakes, I think it was the Bisquick. So when my colleague Beth passed me this recipe after I shared the homemade ricotta recipe with her - I knew I'd hit the jackpot. I made these pancakes this morning and they were the lightest, fluffiest pancakes I've ever had.


1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese - best with homemade ricotta
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
3 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour
1 TB sugar
2 TB lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
butter for the pan

1. Beat together the ricotta, sour cream, and egg yolks.

2. Combine baking soda, flour, and sugar.

3. Beat egg whites until fairly stiff.

4. Stir the flour mixture into the cheese mixture, blending well but not beating. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Gently fold in the egg whites - they should remain somewhat distinct in the batter.

5. Add batter to a heated buttered pan by heaping tablespoon. Cook until lightly browned on each side and cooked through the center. They will be very light and fluffy - don't overcook!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment