Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Chinese Take-out: Basil Chicken

I love Chinese food. We get take-out once and a while but it's so expensive...I'm ALWAYS shocked at the price of it when I order. So I try to make stuff at home as much as I can..and then I also know what's in it. I adapted this from America's Test Kitchen (I know, I know - haven't they already perfected it?).

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup rice wine
1 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs in bite sized pieces
6 scallions, white and green parts separated and sliced thin on bias
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 2-in. piece of ginger, sliced thinly
6-8 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 cup Thai basil leaves, sliced lengthwise
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil

1. Put the chicken in a medium sized bowl with the soy sauce and rice wine and marinate for an hour or while you do step 2.

2. Add oil to skillet with ginger and garlic and heat over medium low heat for about 10 minutes or until they're softened - don't burn them!

3. Pour the chicken and marinade into the pan. Turn heat up to medium high and bring to a simmer. Then turn down to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally.

4. Combine the cornstarch and water and turn the heat back up on the skillet to medium high. Let sauce thicken.

5. Add the basil and celery and cook for another couple of minutes until the celery is just tender. Drizzle the toasted sesame oil and serve over rice. I like this with a side of steamed broccoli with a little soy and sesame and red pepper flakes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment