Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Favorite Cookie - BTBs

I've never been a fan of the small cookie. I like them big, so that you only have to eat one. I like them as a meal. Even better, the cookie that can be eaten for breakfast...which is why these are my absolute favorite. I came across this recipe about eight years ago and I have made countless batches since. Reebs, Per, and the World Ed and JSI folks know them well!

2 sticks butter (I prefer salted)
1 cup dark brown sugar
6 tbsp granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (use 1/2 if you use unsalted butter)
1 cup flour
2 1/4 cups rolled oats (the big ones - I used the rolled oats from Whole Foods bulk bins)
1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut (must use dried coconut - again Whole Foods)
1 12 oz package of good chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (almonds also a good substitute)

Preheat oven to 375

1. Melt the butter so it's very soft to completely melted (NOT boiling!).
2. Mix butter with sugars.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
3. Add flour and baking soda.
4. Stir in oats, coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips.
5. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto sheet for each cookie and leave plenty of room in between.
IMPORTANT! Be sure to flatten the batter so that they're thick discs, not balls. This will help you avoid burnt edges.
6. Bake until light brown in color. For crunchy cookies, leave in an extra minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment