Sunday, December 21, 2008

Fool Proof Pie Crust

My mom and I felt a little bad about tossing Grandma's crust recipe and switching to this one but it's a keeper. An old World Education colleague, Kim, brought in an apple pie to work one day. It was the best crust I've ever had. I was surprised by the vinegar but it's the key to this perfect crust. Even better, no butter! This usually yields about 1 1/2 apple pie's worth so I keep the extras in a ball in the freezer - perfect for pumpkin pie, chicken pot pie or for a crusty top to beef stew.

4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups vegetable shortening/Crisco
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 egg

1. Blend flour, sugar and salt.
2. Cut in shortening.
3. Measure 1/2 cup ice water, beat in egg, and add vinegar.
4. Add the water mixture a little bit at a time, use a potatoe masher to cut in.
5. Mix until all flour incorporated. Put in fridge until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment