Monday, December 29, 2008

Italian Spicy Sausage Soup

I love soup. And I love it more now that I know how incredibly easy it is to make. I also love the Food Network, which is where I get a lot of ideas for the stuff I make. During a snow storm last year, Paddy and I were procrastinating - not wanting to shovel out the cars. We watched the Food Network for several hours with this soup as the grand finale. Giada DeLaurentis made this - I couldn't believe the amount of spices she used, but go for it. Me and Paddy added our own touch with a few extra veggies...it's one of our favorites!

3 hot italian sausages
1 medium onion - diced
1 carrot - diced
1 celery stalk - diced
3 cloves garlic - minced
handful of cremini mushrooms - roughly chopped
1 zucchini - diced (if you have one)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp - 1 tbsp chili pepper (depending on how hot you like it - I use 1 tbsp!)
1 tsp basil
1/2 can tomato paste
1 14oz can of crushed tomatoes (use fire roasted if you can)
1 14oz can of chick peas or white beans
1 32oz box of chicken broth
1 to 1 1/2 cups dried pasta - cook al dente (shells work best, rotini also good)

1. Saute the onions, carrot, celery, zucchini in a large pot with a few tbsp of olive oil. Cook on medium high heat until tender.

2. Add all of the spices and stir well.

3. Add tomato paste and stir well.

4. Add crushed tomato, chick peas, and chicken broth.

5. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Add pasta about 5 minutes before serving.

*Make enough pasta for what you'll eat. If you freeze it or fridge it, leave the pasta out and add to soup the next time you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment