Saturday, February 3, 2018

Potstickers

We had a deep fryer when I was little and as far as I can remember, my parents only used it for making fried wontons. And when it was pulled out, it was a major production. But I was raised on dumplings and I absolutely love them. I don't have a fryer and I can't be bothered with all of that hot oil on the stove so potstickers are the best alternative. I make these with ground chicken instead of pork but you could use either.

12 oz ground chicken
1/3 finely chopped green onions - white and light green parts only
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp dry sherry or rice wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp pepper
Package of wonton/gyoza wrappers

Sauce:
3 tbsp rice vinegar or balsamic
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sambal or sriracha
1 tsp minced ginger

1. Combine all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and dust with flour or corn starch.

3. On a large work surface or dry cutting board, line up 5 or 6 wrappers and wet half of the edge with water. Drop a tsp of meat into each and fold in half. I pleat the edges to seal them better. Set aside on the baking sheet until they're all stuffed.

4. At this point you could steam them in a steamer. Or for potstickers: heat a large skillet (that has a tight fitting lid) and a couple tbsp of canola oil. Add the dumplings and fry until golden or light brown. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and quickly cover. Let cook until the water is gone. Uncover and cook another couple of mins to crisp the bottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment