Saturday, February 3, 2018

Three Bean Curry

I don't know how many curry recipes I have on this website but I think it's a lot. I keep finding better ones. Plus, I like making a big pot of curry on a Sunday to pop on the stove later in the week when I don't feel like cooking. Pluuus, Jack loooooves curry and I can get at least three lunches out of it for him before he asks for something else. Homerun. I didn't think this was going to be anything special but we agreed that this one, adapted from Food52, was one of the best yet. You could sub the beans for chicken but I actually like it with the beans. You can also use whatever beans you want. The original recipe called for five types, I don't go that crazy. Note - it also calls for one triangle of Laughing Cow cheese - totally random but I welcome the chance to buy a box of these since I lived off of them in Senegal and it brings back memories. You could use cream cheese instead.

Onion/garlic/ginger paste: chop 1/2 an onion and equal parts garlic and ginger so that together they equal the amount of onion you have. Pulse in a processor until you have a paste.

Can of kidney beans (or you could use the same beans for all or different kinds than I have here)
Can of garbanzos
Can of black eyed peas - drain and rinse all beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 chili pepper, minced (jalapeno or serrano if you like it spicy, otherwise omit)
1 tsp cumin
1 cup tomatoes, chopped (or diced canned)
1 triangle of Laughing Cow or 1 tbsp cream cheese
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp fenugreek
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sugar
1/3 cup coconut milk (optional)
Couple handfuls of baby spinach (optional, I like to add some greens/veggies to this to balance it out)

1. Heat the butter and oil over medium high in a large saucepan. Add the onion/garlic/ginger paste (and chili pepper if you're using one) and saute for about five minutes or until softened or golden brown.

2. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cheese and cook until melted.

3. Add spices through cinnamon and 1/4 cup of water. Let cook a few minutes. Add sugar and beans and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes or so. Add the spinach if using and cook until totally wilted. Add the coconut milk and heat through. Serve over rice.





No comments:

Post a Comment